Body Story 2
The poem Body Story lays claim to every body’s right: the space to unfold, expand and live out every particle of glorious light originating within.
By virtue of its construction of carefully-measured squares arrayed in a particular geometric pattern, Body Story celebrates the blueprint believed by the ancients to be contained within us and all organisms (plant, rock, animal, human)—a harmonious design of growth and expansion adhering to a universal mathematical proportion. I hope that wearing this sacred geometry might offer a sense of the golden perfection within each unique life, a story lived in the telling, incrementally, as it spirals outward. At the same time, the story spirals inward as memory, stored to be recalled and retold, ever-present and whole.
Body Story 2
- A top constructed according to the Fibonacci series of numbers, where the squares measure 1”, 1”, 2”, 3”, 5”, 8”, 13”, and 21”. Each number is arrived at by adding together the two numbers preceding it.
- The proportion resulting when each number is divided by the one preceding it is roughly the same number, 1.6, which is known as the Golden Mean or Golden Ratio. Body Story, poem and garment, is a celebration of this sacred geometry, common in all of nature. (For more on this, start here)
- Hand-embroidered red French knots illustrate the poem’s “particles of inborn light.” Beginning at the little “x” on the front of the garment, the knots connect diagonally across each square, progressing by size in a spiral outward. From the last knot on the front, the connection travels over the right shoulder and across the back to finish at the “x” at the far corner of the 21” square
- Hexagonal neck opening, a geometry that is cohesive and balanced (like honeycomb, for example), with a symbolism of harmony and life
- Wider, boxy fit
- Available in black or ivory heavyweight stretch jersey, with black, read or ivory thread
- 10% of your Body Story purchase benefits StoryCorps nationally and, locally, Good Shepherd Food Bank of Maine
- Includes a card imprinted with the poem
Materials and garment care
53% hemp, 43% organic cotton,
4% spandex heavyweight jersey.
Cotton embroidery floss.
Gentle cold wash, tumble dry low.
Do not bleach. Iron low heat if needed.
Ellery, placing a disc in the spiral, is 5’5” and is wearing size S.
Nadine, seated, is 5’10” and is wearing size XL.